Friday, August 23, 2013

Sauerkraut

     Here is another practical and encouraging post, this one about lacto-fermenting vegetables. I haven't made sauerkraut for years, and it is so easy. In recent years I learned that you can do the same with many other veggies and fruits as well. MAKE SURE YOUR JARS AND LIDS ARE STERILIZED! When I first wrote this post, I lost all my kraut. It may or may not have been safe, but had some funky looking mold, and I wasn't willing to risk it. This time it turned out great, and I actually used a large pickle jar, which is a little more than half a gallon. We also did cauliflower and carrots. I used organic, whole baby carrots, but I will use thinly sliced carrots next time, as I think the whole ones were just too thick. We just eat them all right out of the jar as a side with meals. The three mixed together are great. Or sometimes when I'm putting something in the frig, I get a hankerin, so I eat a big forkful:)
     1. Finely chop or shred your cabbage
     2. Pack firmly into quart jars, 3/4 full only
     3. Fill with water to cover cabbage, up to the neck of the jar
     4. Add 1 level TB salt
     5. Add 2 TB whey (saved from draining your kefir ). You can use another 1/2 TB salt if you do not have whey. The goal is to keep bad bacteria from forming. Or alternately, you can reduce or leave out the salt, provided  you use the whey.
     6. Place caps on tightly enough to keep things out, and leave sitting on counter. I BURPED my jars once a day After 3 days, tighten lids and refrigerate. It's ready to use, but will improve with time. It will keep for years in the frig.
      I also layered the salt and cabbage when making a larger amount.
                                                              
            The girls did all the chopping, and most of the jar stuffing. Definitely a fun one! Try It!
                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment